Rafael Nadal pulls out of Brazil Open doubles
Nadal is still expected to play in the singles tournament on Thursday against Brazilian Joao Souza, the world number 140.
Sao Paulo: Former world number one Rafael Nadal withdrew suddenly from the doubles at the Brazil Open on Wednesday because of what organisers said was a desire to preserve his strength for the singles competition.
The 26-year-old Spaniard, who returned to action at the Chile Open last week after a left knee condition had sidelined him for seven months, was down to play both singles and doubles in Sao Paulo.
However, he was already complaining of lingering pains before making his doubles debut alongside Argentine David Nalbandian in a 6-3, 3-6, 11-9 victory over Spaniards Pablo Andujar and Guillermo Garcia Lopez on Tuesday night.
Just moments before he and Nalbandian were due to play Horacio Zeballos and Oliver Marach on Wednesday, the pair withdrew.
Nadal is still expected to play in the singles tournament and is scheduled to make his first appearance on Thursday night against Brazilian Joao Souza, the world number 140.
If all goes well, the seven-times French Open champion will head to another clay court tournament in Mexico as part of his preparations for the defence of his Roland Garros title in May.
- BCCI Seeks Directives From Lodha Panel on Media Rights Tender
- Varun Gandhi Rejects Charges Against Him As False, Frivolous
- After Rita Bahuguna Joshi's Exit, More Congress Veterans Eye BJP
- Pierce Brosnan Thought He Was Endorsing A Tooth Whitener, Twitter Had A Field Day
- Jio MAMI 2016: When Aishwarya Rai Made Newcomer Anushka Sharma Feel at Home
- Jio MAMI 2016: Ae Dil Hai Mushkil Will Be Like a Therapy for Unrequited Love, Says Karan Johar
- TWTW: Cyrus Broacha talks about Anurag Khashyap's tweet over ADHM
- Watch: Karan Johar Reveals His Funniest Moments On Koffee With Karan