Girl commits suicide, family blames it on ragging
An 18-year old student of a nursing college has committed suicide.
New Delhi: There has been another case of alleged ragging leading to the death of a student in Ahmedabad. An 18-year old student of a nursing college has committed suicide.
Ankita Vegda, a first year nursing student of the Singhi Institute of Nursing jumped to her death from her hostel room on Monday. Those close to her say she has been depressed for the past two weeks.
Her family alleges she was fed up of being ragged by her seniors and was driven to take the extreme step.
Ankita's mother, Valiben Vegda says, "There were nail marks on her body. I think she has been strangulated to death."
However, the police say there's no evidence of ragging and a case of accidental death has been registered. An investigation has begun.
The college authorities too are rejecting the ragging theory. They say they received no complaint of the kind from the victim's family.
Principal Singhi Institute of Nursing, Bharti Shukla says, "I am very surprised. There was no complaint whatsoever of ragging. No complaint at all. The girl was a quiet and good girl."
Recommended For You
- Moment of Reckoning For Kohli, Smith and Dharamsala
- Xiaomi Redmi 4A Review: An Affordable Redmi 3S Facelift
- India Isn't Comfortable With Women Who Are Unapologetic About Their Sexuality: Swara Bhaskar
- Alia-Sidharth, Sonakshi-Bunty and Others Attend Anushka's Phillauri Special Screening
- Steven Smith Smitten by Picturesque Dharamsala Stadium