Rahman Chayan's four goals helps Bangladesh thrash Fiji 8-4
The goals helped Bangladesh record their third win from four games and, with a game against India to come.
New Delhi: Mamunur Rahman Chayan's four goal corner burst for Bangladesh helped defeat Fiji 8-4 in the men's Hockey World League Round 2 match here at the Major Dhyan Chand National Stadium on Saturday.
The goals helped Bangladesh record their third win from four games and, with a game against India to come, are hopeful of causing an upset to try and make it through to Round 3. Things looked to be relatively comfortable when Krishno Kumar Das scored twice in the opening eleven minutes, first with a tidy one-on-one finish, next when he guided home Md. Mosiur Rahman Mosiur's whipped pass.
Kamruzzaman's excellent rising effort made it 3-0 before Fiji stormed back into contention. Jerome Edwards scored Fiji's first with a very smart piece of work down the right, lifting it in from a narrow angle while Adrian Smith scored his second of the competition.
Chayan's first flick made it 4-2 but, again, Fiji replied this time from Alasace Smith's thumping penalty corner strike. Chayan, though, formally killed off the game with three more drags in the closing 16 minutes to take away Fiji's dream while Sheikh Md. Nannu spun home in the middle of a late goal-rush.
Adrian scored a goal in the final minute to cap a lively performance but Bangladesh's win means they will certainly finish above their pre-tournament seeding.
- Donald Trump's Daughter-in-Law Celebrates Diwali at Hindu Temple in US
- Donald Trump Says Would Probe Email Investigation of Hillary Clinton
- Clinton Policy on Syria Would Lead to World War Three: Donald Trump
- Trump Calls Attack on ISIS in Mosul a 'Disaster', Hillary Lashes Out
- Cyrus Mistry's Explosive Email to Tata Board Hints He Was Made a 'Lame Duck'
- BJP Terms Family Feud in Samajwadi Party as 'Fixed Match'
- Full Text of Cyrus Mistry Interview that Tata Group Scrapped
- Samajwadi Party Feud: Shivpal Yadav Vacates Official Residence
From Our Network
- Punjab polls: As Arvind Kejriwal loses the plot, Congress might just break its losing streak- FirstPost
- Diwali gift for commuters, DND flyway made toll free after Allahabad High Court order - Pradesh18
- Inspiring: Shahdol man, who lost both arms in an accident, drives auto-rickshaw to earn living - Pradesh18