Rains leave many areas waterlogged
The torrential showers that began after 9.00 pm on Thursday hit the city hard as it continued till well past midnight...
CHENNAI: The torrential showers that began a little after 9 pm on Thursday hit the city hard as it continued till well past midnight. Heavy waterlogging was seen in sections of Poonamallee High Road, especially near KMC where road work is still underway, with only a temporary storm water drain system in place. Anna Salai was bereft of traffic as the water levels reached above the pavement in a few places by 10 pm.
In parts of Chamiers road several motorists were seen wheeling their bikes and scooters out after they had stopped. Kotturpuram, Madhya Kailash junction and even the swanky IT corridor were flooded to such an extent that at least 12 cars had stopped after water entered the carburetors. Also one carriage way of OMR was shut because of waterlogging.
The flooding also pushed the number of accidents up. Two biker accidents were observed near Saidapet and outside Anna University, while at the arterial Madhya Kailash junction, a speeding taxi had even hit the median and gone over as it tried to avoid colliding with a stopped bike. Policemen abandoned attempts to regulate traffic and were seen at the beginning of flooded roads, advising commuters on alternate routes to take.
Recommended For You
- Engineer Questions Nature of Pune Pitch, Slams Batsmen
- WhatsApp Status Update: How to Use it And All You Need to Know
- News18 Movie Awards 2017: Alia Is Ahead of Sonam in Best Actress Category
- News18 Movie Awards 2017: Amit Trivedi Gives Competition to Pritam in Best Music Category
- Fitness Freak Jacqueline Fernandez Loves Trying Different Workout Routines