Raj Thackeray gets bail in a case filed in Jharkhand
Arrest linked to a non-bailable warrant against him from a Jameshedpur court.
Mumbai: Maharashtra Navnirman Sena chief Raj Thackeray was arrested by the Mumbai Police on Saturday in connection with a case filed in a Jamshedpur court. However, he was granted bail on a personal surety of Rs. 50,000.
Raj's arrest is linked to a non-bailable warrant against him from a Jameshedpur court, which has been received at Shivaji Park police station.
The warrant was issued on September 30 by a court in Jamshedpur for allegedly denigrating the Bihari festival of Chhath Puja.
The MNS said that Raj applied for a transit bail so that he can go to Jamshedpur himself on November 17 and not travel in police custody from Mumbai to Jamshedpur.
Meanwhile, Patna Sub-divisional Judicial Magistrate Shailendra Kumar on Friday ordered an investigation into the killing of Bihari youth Rahul Raj by the Mumbai police last month.
The order was passed on the basis of a complaint petition filed by a lawyer Kailash Nath Diwakar.
Diwakar alleged that Mumbai police officials lured Rahul Raj to Mumbai on the pretext of providing him with a job. The young man accompanied an inspector and sub inspector of Bel Bazar police chowki to Mumbai where he was killed.
Cases have also been filed against Raj Thackeray in Bihar and Jharkhand for the death of a Bihari youth during the recent violence against North Indian students in Maharashtra.
Charges will also be filed against the two police officials for the encounter killing of Rahul, who allegedly hijacked a BEST bus.
The MNS chief has been in the news for the past few months for his anti-North Indian rhetoric. His party activists have been targeting people from Uttar Pradesh and Bihar across Maharashtra.
Raj Thackeray's lawyer Rajendra Shirodkar says, "Court released him on transit bail, offense was bailable and accuse was willing to give bail, and the court has to give him bail.
- MS Dhoni: The Untold Story Will Live Up to the Hype: Neeraj Pandey
- Houston Shooting: At least 9 Injured, Gunman Dead
- Maruti Suzuki's 'MS Dhoni Inspired' Alto and Alto K10 Special Edition Unveiled
- NASA Denies Changing 2000-Year-Old Zodiac Signs
- Rampant Borussia Dortmund Will Put Stuttering Real Madrid to the Test
- Colombia, Marxist Rebels Sign Accord Ending 52-Year War
- Apple iPhone 7 Users: Please DO NOT Drill a 3.5mm Hole on it to Make Your Own Earphone Jack
- 'Let Loose the Yellow Butterflies', Say FARC Rebels Approving Peace Accord With Colombia