Raja Bhaiya inspects Lucknow jail, pulls up staff
Prison official Duddhi Maurya told that the minister gave guidelines about the upkeep of the prison and facilities for jail inmates.
Lucknow: Facing as many as three incidents of jail riots in different parts of Uttar Pradesh in the last fortnight, state Jails Minister Raghuraj Pratap Singh aka Raja Bhaiyya on Saturday inspected the Lucknow Jail and asked prison officials to "improve living conditions".
On an unscheduled visit to the jail, Raja Bhaiyya went through the barracks and met the inmates.
Prison official Duddhi Maurya told that the minister spent three hours inspecting the prison and gave "guidelines about the upkeep of the prison and facilities for jail inmates".
Airing his displeasure at the quality of food being served to prisoners, the minister warned officials of severe punitive action if "course correction was not initiated immediately".
Asking jail authorities to ensure more greenery, the minister also ordered that water coolers be installed in the prison premises.
Asking officials to treat prisoners as any other humans, Raja Bhaiyya told them that he would return to see if his orders were being implemented or not.
The minister also went to the Women's Jail and inspected the facilities there. Miffed at the "poor show", he ordered suspension of Jail Superintendent Amita Dubey.
- Triple Talaq a Religious Issue, PM Has No Right to Intervene: AIMPLB's Jilani
- People Celebrated Choti Diwali After Surgical Strikes, says PM Modi
- Philippines' Duterte Sparking Distress Around the World, Says US
- PM Modi Urges People to Break out of SP-BSP Stranglehold in UP
- Quetta Terror Attack: 3 Terrorists Killed, Over 60 Dead
- Quetta Attack: Why Pak's 'Action Plan' on Terror Became 'Inaction Plan'
- Had Opposed MNS's Rs 5 Crore Demand in Meeting: Fadnavis
- US Condemns Terror Attack in Pakistan's Quetta