Rajnath Singh Leaves For Cuba to Attend Fidel Castro's Funeral
File photo of of Union Home Minister Rajnath Singh.
New Delhi: Union Home Minister Rajnath Singh along with an eight-member Indian delegation - comprising representatives of different political parties - left for Cuba to attend the pre-funeral commemoration of Cuban revolutionary leader Fidel Castro.
“Leaving New Delhi for Havana. Shall attend the funeral of towering Cuban leader Fidel Castro with the Indian delegation & pay tributes to him,” Rajnath’s tweet reads.
The team is expected to return on Thursday evening, official sources said.
After two days of commemorations in Cuba's capital Havana, Castro's ashes will go on a four-day island-wide procession starting Wednesday, before being buried in the southeastern city of Santiago de Cuba on December 4.
Castro died on November 25 at the age 90, after defying the United States during a half-century of iron-fisted rule and surviving the eclipse of global communism.
Castro, whose 1959 revolution toppled a dictatorship with the promise of bringing justice and equality to his Caribbean island, was a major 20th century figure.
(With PTI Inputs)
Recommended For You
- Xiaomi Redmi Note 4 vs Huawei Honor 6X: Which One to Look Out For?
- Reliance Jio Effect: Vodafone Offering 4GB Data for The Price of 1GB and More
- Bigg Boss 10: Monalisa Gets Married to Boyfriend Vikrant in The House, See Pics
- Alia Bhatt Looks Adorable Dressed As Kareena Kapoor Khan From Jab We Met
- Watch: How People Closest to Us, Transform Us in a Moment