Rajnath Singh Leaves For Cuba to Attend Fidel Castro's Funeral
File photo of of Union Home Minister Rajnath Singh.
New Delhi: Union Home Minister Rajnath Singh along with an eight-member Indian delegation - comprising representatives of different political parties - left for Cuba to attend the pre-funeral commemoration of Cuban revolutionary leader Fidel Castro.
“Leaving New Delhi for Havana. Shall attend the funeral of towering Cuban leader Fidel Castro with the Indian delegation & pay tributes to him,” Rajnath’s tweet reads.
The team is expected to return on Thursday evening, official sources said.
After two days of commemorations in Cuba's capital Havana, Castro's ashes will go on a four-day island-wide procession starting Wednesday, before being buried in the southeastern city of Santiago de Cuba on December 4.
Castro died on November 25 at the age 90, after defying the United States during a half-century of iron-fisted rule and surviving the eclipse of global communism.
Castro, whose 1959 revolution toppled a dictatorship with the promise of bringing justice and equality to his Caribbean island, was a major 20th century figure.
(With PTI Inputs)
Recommended For You
- Nokia 6, 5, 3, and 3310 Launched at MWC 2017: All You Need to Know
- OnePlus 5 to Launch in April: All You Need to Know of the Waterproof Phone
- WhatsApp Status Update: How to Use it And All You Need to Know
- Malayalam Actor Prithiviraj Writes Powerful Post Apologising for Misogyny in Films
- Oscars 2017: Why Dev Patel Deserves to Win for Lion