Rajnath Singh to Lead Indian Delegation at Fidel Castro's Funeral
File photo of of Union Home Minister Rajnath Singh.
New Delhi: Home Minister Rajnath Singh will lead the Indian delegation at the funeral of Cuba's revolutionary leader Fidel Castro.
The delegation is likely to include leaders from various political parties like Congress, CPI(M), CPI and Samajwadi Party.
The team will leave for Havana on Tuesday and is expected to return on Thursday evening, official sources said.
The composition of the delegation is still being worked out by the Prime Minister's Office in consultation with the ministries of the external affairs and home.
After two days of commemorations in Cuba's capital Havana, Castro's ashes will go on a four-day island-wide procession starting Wednesday before being buried in the southeastern city of Santiago de Cuba on December 4.
Castro died on November 25 at the age 90, after defying the United States during a half-century of iron-fisted rule and surviving the eclipse of global communism.
Castro, whose 1959 revolution toppled a dictatorship with the promise of bringing justice and equality to his Caribbean island, was a major 20th century figure.
Recommended For You
- Eoin Morgan Defends Dropping Himself for South Africa Finale
- OnePlus 5 vs OnePlus 3T vs OnePlus 3: What Difference to Expect?
- 3rd T20I: England Beat South Africa by 19 Runs, Take Series 2-1
- Exclusive: Read Excerpts From In the Name of God by Ravi Subramanian
- Matin Rey Tangu Joins SRK, Salman Khan At Baba Siddique's Iftar party