Rajya Sabha Dy Chairman Kurien Ticks off Jaya Bachchan
Rajya Sabha Deputy Chairman PJ Kurien on Monday ticked off Samajwadi Party MP Jaya Bachchan for trying to question the decision of the Chair.
A file image of Samajwadi Party leader Jaya Bachchan entering the Parliament House . (Photo: PTI)
New Delhi: Rajya Sabha Deputy Chairman PJ Kurien on Monday ticked off Samajwadi Party MP Jaya Bachchan for trying to question the decision of the Chair.
The incident happened during zero hour after Ali Anwar Ansari (JD-U) raised the issue of restrictions on eating non-vegetarian food and curbs imposed on women students of Banaras Hindu University (BHU) on using mobile phone and internet after 9 pm.
Congress member Viplove Thakur also wanted to speak on the issue but the Chair did not allow.
At this point, Bachchan got up seemingly questioning the decision of the chair not to allow a woman member to speak on an issue concerning women.
Kurien first told her that she was not chairing the House and then went on to say that she can give suggestions but cannot question the chair.
"This is not the first time you are doing like this...don't question the Chair. You can give suggestion but not question the Chair," he said, adding Bachchan was an "honourable lady" and should behave accordingly.
After the reprimand, she sat down and the House proceeded to conduct its listed business.
Recommended For You
- Pakistan Cricket's Structure Needs Improvement, Talent is There: Shoaib Akhtar
- Kedarnath Stalled: Sara Ali Khan Will Now Make Debut With Ranveer In This Movie?
- Sarita Devi Wins Opening Bout, Enters Quarters at Strandja Memorial
- Aww! Priya Prakash Varrier Has A Huge Crush On This Indian Cricketer
- The Legend of Burnt Wine a.k.a Brandy Came From the Blandest of French Grapes