Delhi gangrape: Ram Singh's post-mortem to be conducted
Ram Singh's lawyer has claimed that he was happy with the way the trial was being conducted and had no reason to commit suicide.
New Delhi: The post-mortem report of the main accused in the Delhi gangrape case, Ram Singh, will be conducted on Tuesday. Ram Singh was found dead in his cell in Tihar jail on Monday at 5.00 am with officials suspecting it to be a case of suicide. Ram Singh was found hanging in his cell and he had used a piece of cloth that he had reportedly torn off from a rug to hang himself.
However, after it was learnt that Ram Singh shared his cell with two other inmates, questions were raised on whether it was a case of suicide or murder. Ram Singh's family and lawyers alleged foul play. "He was happy with the way the trial was being conducted. He had no need to commit suicide," said lawyer VK Anand.
The Tihar jail has ordered a probe.
His death comes as a huge embarrassment for the jail. Chief Minister Sheila Dikshit, to whom the Tihar DG reports, has passed the buck for Ram Singh's death to the Centre. However, the Home Ministry has replied by indicating that jails are a state subject.
- Watch: Talking point With Zakka Jacob
- UP Polls: Akhilesh Yadav's 'Vikas Rath Yatra' to Begin from November 3
- Shivpal Invites Nitish Kumar, Sharad Yadav to SP's 25th Anniversary Celebrations, Hints Alliance
- Fadnavis 'Did not Discourage' Johar's 5 Crore 'Donation' to Army Fund
- Cyclonic Storm Kyant May be Heading Towards Andhra Pradesh
- Rajnath Singh Speaks to Odisha CM After Security Forces Kill 24 Maoists
- Andhra Pradesh Deputy CM Suffers Minor Injury After Elevator Cable Snaps
- Quetta Terror Attack: 3 Terrorists Killed, Over 60 Dead