UP: Minor Dalit girl raped, put behind bars
The BSP MLA who allegedly raped the girl accused her of stealing from his house.
Lucknow: A minor Dalit girl was allegedly kidnapped and raped by a BSP MLA and then found herself behind bars after the MLA accused her of stealing from his house in Uttar Pradesh.
The man in question is Purshottam Narain Dwivedi, an MLA from Banda in Uttar Pradesh.
"My daughter was given Rs 50,000. She was then slapped and handed over to some men who raped her," said the victim's father.
Dwivedi has denied all the allegations, countering them instead by saying that he caught the girl stealing clothes and cash from his house.
"The girl worked in the MLA's house. She ran away after stealing. The MLA complained and we arrested her," said SP Anil Das.
The victim has refuted this. She claimed that the MLA threatened to kill her as well.
The opposition Congress has taken up the girl's cause and UP Congress President Rita Bahuguna Joshi is expected to meet the victim.
- Key Moments From Lata Mangeshkar's Life You May Have Missed
- Former Israeli Prime Minister, Nobel Prize Winner Shimon Peres Passes Away
- Watch: The News That Wasn't With Cyrus Broacha
- Lata Mangeshkar Has A Special Message For Her Fans In Pakistan
- Lisa Haydon Just Announced Her Marriage to Boyfriend Dino Lalvani
- Sam Allardyce Fights to Save England Job After Newspaper Sting
- Wayne Rooney Plays Where he Wants, Says Sam Allardyce
- Adam Lallana Late Show Gives England 1-0 Win Over Slovakia