RBI starts investigating the Citibank scam
Citibank has dismissed allegations of involvement of its senior executives in the fraud.
New Delhi: The Reserve Bank is investigating the Rs 300 crore fraud in Citibank's Gurgaon branch, which saw diversion of depositors funds in stock markets.
"RBI is investing the matter (Citi Bank fraud)," a key Reserve Bank source said.
The fraud at the Citibank's Gurgaon branch, involving diversion of depositors money into the stock market, was uncovered last week.
Several high networth individuals (HNIs), including promoters of Hero Group, were lured by Citibank's Relationship Manager Shivraj Puri, the main accused in the scam, into investing funds on promise of high returns.
Victims of the fraud have complained to the police that their securities were encashed without their knowledge.
Sanjeev Aggarwal, managing director of Helion Advisors, had on Tuesday filed an FIR with the local police, alleging he was cheated of his life's savings of Rs 32.43 crore in the fraud.
Besides senior officials of the bank, Aggarwal named Indian-born global CEO of the Citibank Vikram Pandit and Chairman William R Rhodes in the FIR that alleged criminal breach of trust, falsification of accounts, cheating and
criminal conspiracy by the bank officials.
Citibank, however, dismissed allegations of involvement of its senior executives in the fraud.
The local police on Wednesday ruled out the possibility of questioning Citibank's global CEO Vikram Pandit and other top honchos in connection with the scam.
- BCCI Seeks Directives From Lodha Panel on Media Rights Tender
- Varun Gandhi Rejects Charges Against Him As False, Frivolous
- Let's See to What Extent Order is Carried Out by BCCI: Justice Lodha
- Justice Lodha Speaks on SC's Decision to Curb BCCI's Financial Prowess
- Ranji Trophy, Group C: Andhra Turn Tables on J&K; Himachal Force a Draw Against Tripura
- Kabaddi World Cup 2016: Coach Dedicates Title Win to Uri Martyrs
- Ranji Trophy, Group C: J&k Take Lead Vs Andhra; Services Struggle Against Goa
- Two Suspected JeM Terrorists Arrested in Baramulla District of J&K