Record-breaking twins born from eggs frozen 12 years ago
Monica Zapotoczny gave birth to the twins from the eggs she had frozen at the age of 33, providing hope to cancer survivors.
London: Miracle twins! An Argentinian woman has given birth to a record-breaking set of twins from eggs frozen 12 years ago, providing hope to cancer survivors wanting to become parents. Forty-five-year-old Monica Zapotoczny, from Buenos Aires, gave birth to the twins from the eggs she had frozen at the age of 33 - surpassing the previous record of seven years.
Zapotoczny and her husband Guillermo Husak, had thought that they would never have a child of their own after several failed attempts at In vitro fertilisation (IVF) treatment, the 'Daily Mail' reported. The couple had one final attempt last year and Zapotoczny became pregnant with non identical twins - Mercedes and Guadalupe, who were born in January by cesarean section.
Although eggs were frozen for up to two decades, they are susceptible to damage as they become more fragile the older they get. Offering new hope to cancer survivors who are holding off having children, the news also comes as a boost to career women who delay having children to focus on their job. "It was a miracle. The joy we feel is indescribable, our family is complete. I hope other women who freeze their eggs can take hope from this that their dreams can one day come true," Zapotoczny said.
Around 1,000 babies have been born from frozen eggs worldwide so far, the report said.
- BCCI Seeks Directives From Lodha Panel on Media Rights Tender
- Watch: Masand's Verdict On Tom Cruise's Jack Reacher: Never Go Back
- Jack Reacher: Never Go Back Review: Lacks Suspense, High-Adrenaline Thrills
- 'Jack Reacher: Never Go Back' Review: The Film is Dull and Predictable
- Pakistan Will Pay Heavy Price if it Attacks our Troops: BSF Official
- 2nd Test: Pakistan Build Commanding Lead Over West Indies
- Hockey: India's Top Five Victories Over Pakistan
- Asian Champions Trophy 2016: India Prevail 3-2 in Pacy Encounter vs Pakistan