DON'T SHARE NUISANCE.
Revoke AFSPA to resolve Kashmir issue, says Mufti
Mufti said he had been advocating the revocation of AFSPA since 2007 when the Prime Minister had on his suggestion had appointed a committee to examine the issue.
Jammu: Peoples Democratic Party on Sunday demanded scraping of the Armed Forces Special Powers Act from Jammu and Kashmir, saying in the changed circumstances when militancy is substantially reduced its continuance is "a set back to peace process".
"Continuing with the law in changed circumstances, when the militancy is substantially reduced and people have overwhelmingly participated in democratic process, is a hurdle in complete normalcy and a set back to peace process," PDP patron Mufti Muhammad Sayeed said on Sunday.
"Removal of AFSPA and complete restoration of democratic institutions are the first essential steps in resolution of the problem," he said. Mufti said he had been advocating the revocation of AFSPA since 2007 when the Prime Minister had on his suggestion had appointed a high powered committee to examine the issue.
Recommended For You
- Sachin: A Billion Dreams Review: A Rush Of Nostalgia For Tendulkar's Fans
- Read Exclusive Excerpts From Sita: Warrior of Mithila by Author Amish
- Pirates of The Caribbean: Salazar's Revenge Just Taps Into Collective Nostalgia
- Rishabh Pant Adds New Mercedes to His Garage After IPL Heroics
- Qualcomm India Roadmap: More For Indian Smartphone Users