RIP Gopinath Munde (1949-2014): Some photos from his life as a beloved mass leader and popular politician
Rural Development Minister Gopinath Munde died after a head-on road collision in New Delhi.
Rural Development Minister Gopinath Munde died on Tuesday after a head-on road collision in New Delhi, depriving Prime Minister Narendra Modi of a senior ally just eight days after he took office. Munde was injured while driving to the capital's airport and died later in hospital.
Munde, 64, was deputy chief minister in Maharashtra from 1995 to 1999 and elected twice to the Lok Sabha, in 2009 and 2014. He had served as deputy leader of Modi's Bharatiya Janata Party (BJP) in parliament.
The position of rural development is a crucial one in Modi's government, which faces a huge challenge to tackle rural poverty. Over half the population lives in the countryside but generates just 14 percent of gross domestic product.
These are some snapshots from Munde's life. (Text and image courtesy: Reuters, Getty Images, pib.nic.in)
Recommended For You
- Renshaw Criticised For Retiring Due to Stomach Bug
- New KTM Duke 390, Duke 250, Duke 200 Launched; Prices Start at Rs 1.43 Lakh
- Post Jolly LLB 2 Success, Makers Plan to Make a Sequel
- Xiaomi Redmi Note 4 Black Colour Variant to Be Available from March 1
- Why Hidden Figures Deserves an Oscar For Being Relevant in Present Times