Ritu scored a hat-trick beating S'pore in Asia Cup
Ritu Rani scored a hat-trick as India spanked Singapore and won in the sixth Women's Junior Asia Cup Hockey C'ship.
Bangkok: Skipper Ritu Rani led form the front with a hat-trick as India spanked Singapore 9-0 for their second successive Group A win in the sixth Women's Junior Asia Cup Hockey Championship here.
Vice-captain Poonam Rani also scored three goals on Thursday as the team followed up its 15-0 win against Sri Lanka. Vandana Katariya scored off a sixth-minute penalty corner to open the scoring.
Seven minutes later, fellow forward Anupa Barla increased the lead with a field goal. Poonam scored off a penalty corner in the 22nd minute while Lily Chanu Mayengam added a field goal just before the break to ensure that India held a 4-0 lead.
Poonam pumped in two field goals within 10 minutes of resumption while captain Ritu Rani scored a hat-trick off penalty corners in an 11-minute span from the 57th minute in a match in which India enjoyed 95 per cent ball possession.
Though Singapore packed their defence, India scored frequently, converting six of the 15 penalty corners they forced.
In another Group A match, China beat Sri Lanka 21-0 while Korea defeated Pakistan 19-0 in a Group B game.
India will play against China on Monday before taking on Malaysia in their final league game the following day.
- India Jumps 16 Places in Global Competitiveness Index
- I Pray For Her Long And Healthy Life: PM Modi Wishes Lata Mangeshkar On 87th birthday
- Key Moments From Lata Mangeshkar's Life You May Have Missed
- Lata Mangeshkar Has A Special Message For Her Fans In Pakistan
- Saamna Cartoonist Expresses Regret Over Cartoon That Triggered Protests
- 8 Times Ranbir Kapoor Wowed us With His Radical Approach Towards Life
- Former Israeli Prime Minister, Nobel Prize Winner Shimon Peres Passes Away
- Saamana Office Attacked Over Cartoon Mocking Maratha Protests