Robbers inspired by 'Ocean's 11' arrested in Kanpur
Four people, including two students, stole Rs 23 lakh from a branch of Bank of Baroda in Kanpur.
Kanpur: Four people, including two students, who carried out a sophisticated robbery - inspired by Hollywood film 'Ocean's 11' - at a bank in Kanpur in November, have been arrested and most of the stolen Rs 23 lakh recovered, police said.
Announcing the solving of the case, Kanpur Senior Superintendent of Police (SSP) Yashaswi Yadav said that out of the Rs 23 lakh looted from the Bank of Baroda branch in Nirala Nagar in Kanpur, Rs 19 lakh had been recovered from the three persons - Anshul, Shailendra and Jitendra, who were arrested earlier in the day. Their accomplice Atif was picked up by a team of Kanpur police from New Delhi.
Yadav said that what had even stunned the police was the robbers' modus operandi - use of technology and social networking sites in the crime. "The robbers had put tape on their fingers so as not to leave any finger prints, they were wearing helmets and goggles to prevent identification and talked to each other on ear phones," he said, and said that soon after the bank robbery, they broke and threw away their SIM cards and separated.
During interrogation, the trio told police that they had taken inspiration from Hollywood flick 'Ocean's 11', a film on robberies in Las Vegas casinos. One of the bank robbers is a computer science engineer and other an information technology (IT) engineering student. One of them had also used some of the looted money to pay his college fees.
The police team that cracked the case has been awarded Rs 50,000 by the inspector general of police (IG) and the district police chief said he would be additionally giving them Rs 10,000 as a reward.
- Lisa Haydon Just Announced Her Marriage to Boyfriend Dino Lalvani
- MS Dhoni: The Untold Story Will Live Up to the Hype: Neeraj Pandey
- Colombia, Marxist Rebels Sign Accord Ending 52-Year War
- Houston Shooting: At least 9 Injured, Gunman Dead
- Erapalli Prasanna Consider R Ashwin Best Spinner in World
- Ashwin, Jadeja Star as India Thump New Zealand in Historic 500th Test
- R Ashwin Becomes Fastest Indian to 200 Test Wickets
- 1st Test: Vijay, Pujara Put India in Command Against NZ on Day 3