Roger Federer commits to hometown Swiss Indoors event
Roger Federer says he will play at the Swiss Indoors in October, ending speculation he'd skip his hometown tournament because of a contractual dispute.
Basel: Roger Federer says he will play at the Swiss Indoors in October, ending speculation he'd skip his hometown tournament because of a contractual dispute. Federer tells Swiss daily Tages Anzeiger that "everyone knows how much this tournament means to me and that is still true."
The five-time champion says he never said that he wouldn't play in Basel. He says he's trying "to make this complicated issue simpler."
Federer's contract with the event ended after losing last year's final to Juan Martin del Potro. Swiss media reported that Federer's management sought a seven-figure fee and couldn't reach an agreement with tournament organizers.
The 31-year-old Federer says he can play in Basel "without any kind of contract or agreement" if he wants.
Recommended For You
- Indian Spinners Lacked Patience in the Second Innings: Maninder Singh
- OnePlus 5 to Launch in April: All You Need to Know of the Waterproof Phone
- Oscars 2017: Why The Sudden Criticism For La La Land Is Disappointing
- Oscars 2017: Why Dev Patel Deserves to Win for Lion
- Oscars 2017: 20 Lesser Known Facts About the Most Prestigious Film Awards