Rohtak clashes: Stand-off ends as police evacuate ashram
The Ashram was sealed after nearly 500 remaining protesters were evacuated and taken to Barwala town in Hisar.
Rohtak: The disputed Satlok Ashram was completely evacuated and the protesters cremated the body of a woman killed in Sunday's clashes in Rohtak as the stand-off between self-styled godman Rampal's followers and Arya Samaj activists ended on Wednesday.
The issue was resolved peacefully after holding parleys with both the parties, Rohtak Deputy Commissioner Vikas Gupta said. Security of the Satlok Ashram had been handed over to the CRPF as protesting Arya Samaj activists cremated the body of 40-year-old Promilla in Karantha village, some 12-km from Rohtak.
The protesters had earlier placed Promilla's body near a village road and said they would not consign it to flames till the Ashram was totally cleared of Rampal's supporters.
The district authorities sealed the Ashram by locking its main gate after transporting the remaining 500 followers of controversial preacher Rampal to Barwala town in Hisar by the Haryana Roadways buses.
Nearly 4,000 followers were evacuated on Tuesday evening but some 500 refused to leave. The Deputy Commissioner said the CRPF, deployed in the trouble-torn village in the wake of Sunday's violence, had been entrusted with the responsibility of ensuring security of Satlok Ashram.
The row over possession of the Ashram took a violent turn on Sunday when police tried to stop activists of the Arya Pratinidhi Sabha from marching towards the dera of the controversial godman.
Three people were killed and over 100, including 50 policemen, injured in running battles between police and the protesters. Tension had been brewing in the area for quite some time as the Arya Samajis claimed the ownership of the Ashram by Rampal was illegal.
- Dear Zindagi: SRK Asks Alia Bhatt to Crack Better Jokes in the New Teaser
- Salman Khan's Recent Photo With Nephew Ahil is Just Too Heart-warming
- Pakistan Will Pay Heavy Price if it Attacks our Troops: BSF Official
- Aamir Wanted to Play Max in Josh but I Had SRK in Mind: Mansoor Khan
- Congress Hits Out at CM Fadnavis Over 'Ae Dil Hai Mushkil' Release, Calls Him 'Broker'
- Quetta Terror Attack: 3 Terrorists Killed, Over 60 Dead
- Quetta Attack: Why Pak's 'Action Plan' on Terror Became 'Inaction Plan'
- Had Opposed MNS's Rs 5 Crore Demand in Meeting: Fadnavis