RTI Activist Murdered at His Residence in Mumbai, Two Arrested
Representative Image (Courtesy: Getty Images)
Mumbai: Two people have been arrested in connection with the murder of a 60-year-old RTI activist who was shot dead from point blank range at his residence in Kalina, Santa Cruz at around 9:45 pm on Saturday, Police said.
The victim Bhupendra Virji Veera, was shot in his head, Police added.
"On Saturday night, an unknown accused entered his house and shot him as he was watching television in his living room. His wife was in the kitchen and did not hear the gunshot. As the deceased was shot from a close range and the television was on, therefore it is possible that the incident was not audible to his wife," said Mahadeo Wavale, senior police inspector, Vakola police station.
According to police the murder might be a fall out of a land dispute as the deceased had earlier filed complaint against Razzak Khan, who is the owner of the building where he (deceased) was staying, of land grabbing.
"There was a dispute between the victim and Razzak regarding land grabbing in the area, the deceased had even filed a complaint against 70-year-old Razzak with the BMC," added Wavale.
Police further added that both the parties have earlier submitted written complaints against each other at the police station but it was all a part of a civil dispute.
Veera is survived by his wife and two sons, who stay in Bangalore and Goa. Police said that they are interrogating Razzak and are investigating the case from all possible angles.
The deceased was spotted by a neighbor as he saw blood coming out of the living room of the house. When he reached the main door he saw Veera in a pool of blood.
A case of murder under section 302 of Indian Penal Code has been registered at Vakola police station. Police said that primary investigation suggest that the murder was not committed with the intention of robbery.
- Congress Hits Out at CM Fadnavis Over 'Ae Dil Hai Mushkil' Release, Calls Him 'Broker'
- Had Opposed MNS's Rs 5 Crore Demand in Meeting: Fadnavis
- Philippines' Duterte Sparking Distress Around the World, Says US
- Ae Dil Hai Mushkil Controversy: Shabana Azmi slams Maharashtra CM Devendra Fadnavis
- Trump Calls Attack on ISIS in Mosul a 'Disaster', Hillary Lashes Out
- Trump Takes Swipe at Adult Star Who Accused Him of Inappropriate Sexual Contact
- Rajnath Singh Speaks to Odisha CM After Security Forces Kill 24 Maoists
- Andhra Pradesh Deputy CM Suffers Minor Injury After Elevator Cable Snaps