Rupesh Shah crowned Asian billiards champion
Shah, who is also the reigning world champion, beat compatriot Alok Kumar in the final.
Indore: Reigning world champion Rupesh Shah added another feather to his cap by clinching the 12th Asian Billiards Championship beating compatriot Alok Kumar in a fiercely fought final here on Sunday.
After winning the lag, Kumar asked Shah to start with white but went on to lose the first game in the best-of-11 final. Kumar recovered from that in the second game and levelled the match 1-1 but Shah rebounded by producing 67 points break and advanced 2-1.
But Kumar kept his composure and produced an unfinished century break to win the next game. Sniffing danger, Shah gathered himself and produced three breaks of 101, 95 and 100 to leave Kumar way behind.
Kumar, who is well known for his fighting spirit, succeeded to pocket the ninth game by producing a break of 76 points but he missed thrice in the tenth game, after which Shah capitalised and sealed the match.
This is India's 10th Asian Billiards title and Shah is the new entrant in this elite club that has Geet Sethi, Ashok Shandilya, Devendra Joshi, Pankaj Advani and Alok Kumar as previous champions.
Recommended For You
- I Had Warned BCCI Against Preparing a Dry Pitch: Pune Curator
- Nokia 6, 5, 3, and 3310 Launched at MWC 2017: All You Need to Know
- Priyanka Chopra Slays In This Oscars After Party Ensemble
- Sunny Pawar Is Winning Hollywood One Award Ceremony at a Time
- Koffee With Karan: Kapil Sharma's Episode Is Going to Be the Funniest One Ever