Sahara India buys Lucknow hockey franchise
The inaugural hockey league next year will have six city-based teams playing one another on a home and away basis.
Lucknow: Corporate giants Sahara India Monday bought the Lucknow franchise of the soon-to-be-launched Hockey India League (HIL) which will be held in different cities of the country early next year.
The inaugural HIL will have six city-based teams playing one another on a home and away basis.
Speaking on the occasion, managing worker and chairman of Sahara India Pariwar, Subrata Roy Sahara said, "We are proud to associate ourselves with this great game, which has created legends in the past.
"By taking up this franchise we are sure that fresh talent will be identified at city and regional level, who in turn will bring laurels to our beloved nation," he said.
HI secretary general Narinder Batra thanked Sahara India Pariwar, the major sponsor of Indian hockey team, for supporting the national game in a big way.
"I am grateful to 'Saharasri' and Sahara India Pariwar, for again coming forward in support of hockey. The Group has always come forward and supported the sport of hockey at all times by providing the much needed support," Batra said.
Apart from being the sponsor of Indian hockey team, Sahara has also been a global partner of the International Hockey Federation.
Recommended For You
- IPL 2017: Varun Aaron Can't Wait to Work With Virender Sehwag
- 2017 Audi A3 Facelift First Drive Review: The Future is Cylinder on Demand
- Moto 3rd Anniversary Sale on Flipkart: Huge Discounts on Moto Z, Moto M and More
- Anaarkali of Aarah: Karan Johar Unveils Swara's Never-seen-before Avatar
- Federer wants Nadal as Laver Cup doubles partner