DON'T SHARE NUISANCE.
Saina gifts Paralympian Girisha Rs 2 lakh
Olympic bronze medallist Saina Nehwal's gesture has set an example for India's rich and famous sportspersons.
New Delhi: Olympic bronze medallist Saina Nehwal has set an example for the country's rich sportsmen as the start badminton player gifted Paralympic silver medallist HN Girisha Rs 2 lakh from her own earnings, Times Of India reported on Friday.
In awe of Girisha's medal in the high-jump event, Saina recognised the effort he had put in to compete and win at the big stage. "I am very happy for him. He did a great job for the country. I hope this small reward will help him in some way. As a fellow athlete, I know the hardship a sportsperson endures while competing on the biggest stage," she told the newspaper.
Saina will hand over the amount to Girisha on his return home from London.
Girisha, who cleared 1.74 metres to win silver at the ongoing London Paralympics, has an impairment in his left leg. His father, who is a daily wage labourer, didn't have enough money to afford surgery for his son, and Girisha now feels the government should recognise the efforts of the para-athletes.
"Now that India has a medal at the Paralympics, the government and officials should support para-athletes. Able-bodied Olympians performed at the same venue," Girisha said after his inspiring show.
Recommended For You
- Champions Trophy 2017: Virat Kohli and Co Arrive in London
- New 2017 Maruti Suzuki Dzire First Drive Review: Does it Aspire to Amaze You?
- Why KJo is the Definition of Love, Friendship and Bold Decisions
- Pirates of the Caribbean: Things To Know Before Watching The Fifth Instalment
- Should Have Been Picked to Play in IPL Final, Says Harbhajan Singh