Saina gifts Paralympian Girisha Rs 2 lakh
Olympic bronze medallist Saina Nehwal's gesture has set an example for India's rich and famous sportspersons.
New Delhi: Olympic bronze medallist Saina Nehwal has set an example for the country's rich sportsmen as the start badminton player gifted Paralympic silver medallist HN Girisha Rs 2 lakh from her own earnings, Times Of India reported on Friday.
In awe of Girisha's medal in the high-jump event, Saina recognised the effort he had put in to compete and win at the big stage. "I am very happy for him. He did a great job for the country. I hope this small reward will help him in some way. As a fellow athlete, I know the hardship a sportsperson endures while competing on the biggest stage," she told the newspaper.
Saina will hand over the amount to Girisha on his return home from London.
Girisha, who cleared 1.74 metres to win silver at the ongoing London Paralympics, has an impairment in his left leg. His father, who is a daily wage labourer, didn't have enough money to afford surgery for his son, and Girisha now feels the government should recognise the efforts of the para-athletes.
"Now that India has a medal at the Paralympics, the government and officials should support para-athletes. Able-bodied Olympians performed at the same venue," Girisha said after his inspiring show.
Recommended For You
- HIL 2017 Live Updates: Dabang Mumbai vs Delhi Waveriders, Semi-final
- New KTM Duke 390, Duke 250, Duke 200 Launched; Prices Start at Rs 1.43 Lakh
- News18 Movie Awards 2017: Alia Is Ahead of Sonam in Best Actress Category
- News18 Movie Awards 2017: Amit Trivedi Gives Competition to Pritam in Best Music Category
- Fitness Freak Jacqueline Fernandez Loves Trying Different Workout Routines