Saina, Jayaram, Gurusaidutt advance in Indonesia Open
World number two Saina took 39 minutes to outplay Sayaka Takahashi of Japan 21-13 21-19 in a women's singles second round.
Jakarta: Defending champion Saina Nehwal and R.M.V. Gurusaidutt and Ajay Jayaram won their respective matches to advance to the quarter-finals of the Indonesia Open Super Series Premier here Thursday.
In women's singles, World No.2 Saina defeated unseeded Japanese Sayaka Takahashi 21-13, 21-19 in 39 minutes in their first ever career meet at the Istora Gelora Bung Karno Stadium. The second seed will face Spaniard Carolina Marin in their first ever encounter in a last eight clash Friday.
In the men's singles, Jayaram caused one of the biggest upsets of the day by defeating Indonesian fourth seed Sony Dwi Kuncoro 22-20, 21-12 in 38 minutes in their first ever faceoff.
The World No.25 Mumbaikar will take on Marc Zwiebler of Germany against whom the Indian has a 1-1 head-to-head.
R.M.V. Gurusaidutt, who achieved a career-best ranking of World No.23 Thursday, defeated Japan's Kazumasa Sakai 21-12, 9-21, 21-19 in 59 minutes to book a place against rival Tommy Sugiarto of Indonesia in the quarter-finals. Sugiarto has a 2-1 record against the Indian. However,, Gurusaidutt won their last match.
B. Sai Praneeth, who achieved his biggest career victory in the first round by pushing former Olympic and World Champion Taufik Hidayat into retirement, went out in straight games against World No.1 Lee Chong Wei of Malaysia. The top seed won 21-18, 21-12 in 37 minutes.
Sourabh Varma was thrashed by Indonesian third seed Pengyu Du 16-21, 6-21 in 37 minutes in the second round.
Doubles specialist Ashwini Ponnappa, however, suffered two losses on the same day as she went down in both mixed and women's doubles second round matches.
In the mixed category, Ashwini with Tarun Kona lost to seventh seeded Polish pairing of Robert Mateusiak and Nadiezda Zieba 14-21, 21-17, 13-21 in 42 minutes. While in women's doubles, the Coorgi partnering Pradnya Gadre lost against Indonesia's Anneke Feinya Agustin and Della Destiara Haris 13-21, 19-21 in 31 minutes.
- Kareena Kapoor Rejected Saif Ali Khan's Marriage Proposal the First Time
- Watch: Ranbir Kapoor Expresses the Pain of One-sided Love Convincingly in Channa Mereya
- Kareena Kapoor, Saif Ali Khan Make The Most Stylish Couple; Here's The Proof
- Love is a Feeling Beyond Your Control: Ranbir Kapoor
- UN Chief Offers to Mediate Between India, Pak to De-escalate Tension
- Allahabad HC Defers Hearing on Plea Challenging Narendra Modi's Election From Varanasi
- PM Modi Holds Meeting Over Cauvery Water Sharing Dispute
- Will Tell India What is Real Surgical Strike: Hafiz Saeed