Saina Nehwal enters French Open quarters
The world no. 3 defeated Thailand's Sapsiree Taerattanachai 21-16, 21-13 in 38 minutes.
Paris: India's top seed Saina Nehwal advanced to the women's singles quarter-finals of the French Open Super Series here on Thursday, easing past Sapsiree Taerattanachai of Thailand in straight games. The Indian won 21-16, 21-13 in 37 minutes in their third career encounter. Saina had won the previous two meetings as well.
The first game was a topsy-turvy one with neither player giving room for the other to take a lead of more than a point till 8-all. Saina then took a small lead but it was neutralised by the unseeded Thai at 13-all.
From there, Saina, the World No. 3, took five consecutive points to go 18-13 up and closed the game in the next six points. The Hyderabadi displayed dominance in the second game with superior skill and speed. After taking a lead of 10-3, Saina never looked back and won the game by eight points.
Saina will next face the winner of the match between Indonesia's Aprilla Yuswandari and Thailand's seventh seed Ratchanok Intanon. In the men's singles, Mumbai's Ajay Jayaram will take on veteran Peter Gade of Denmark for a place in the last eight.
Recommended For You
- Renshaw Criticised For Retiring Due to Stomach Bug
- New KTM Duke 390, Duke 250, Duke 200 Launched; Prices Start at Rs 1.43 Lakh
- News18 Movie Awards 2017: Aamir Khan Is Unbeatable in Best Actor Category
- Why Hidden Figures Deserves an Oscar For Being Relevant in Present Times
- Nach Baliye 8: Judges to Contestants; Everything That You Need to Know About The Show