Saina Nehwal reaches Indonesia Open quarter-finals
Saina had to dig deep against the Japanese Eriko Hirose before earning a 16-21, 21-16, 21-9 win.
Singapore: Saina Nehwal came from a game down to beat Eriko Hirose and enter the women's singles quarter-finals at Singapore Open Super Series badminton event here on Thursday.
Saina, who slipped to number four in world rankings released on Thursday, had to dig deep against the Japanese before earning a 16-21, 21-16, 21-9 win. The contest lasted a little over one hour.
With Thursday's success, Saina levelled her head-to-head record with the World No.11 to 3-3. She plays Indonesia's Lindaweni Fanetri in the last eight stage on Friday.
B Sai Praneeth, however, lost to 12th-ranked Chong Wei Feng 11-21, 21-17, 16-21 in the pre-quarterfinals. The World No. 45 had upset second seed Yun Hu of Hong Kong on Wednesday.
The mixed doubles pair of Arun Vishnu and Aparna Balan went down against Praveen Jordan and Vita Marissa of Indonesia 10-21, 18-21.
Akshay Dewalkar and Pranav Jerry Chopra were shown the door by Chinese Taipei's Yoo Seon Yong and Shin Baek Choel 14-21, 19-21.
- Schizophrenia Can't be Ground for Halting Death Penalty, Says Pakistan SC Citing Indian Judgment
- 2nd Test: Fit-Again Younis Khan Leads Pakistan's Charge Against WI
- Seven Pakistani Rangers, One Terrorist Killed Along Jammu Border: BSF
- Salahuddin Seeks Help From Pak Military Pak Over Kashmir
- Islamic State Has Seized 550 Iraqi Families to Use as Human Shields, Says UN
- After Rita Bahuguna Joshi's Exit, More Congress Veterans Eye BJP
- Islamic State Retaliates as Iraqi Forces Push on Mosul
- Pierce Brosnan Thought He Was Endorsing A Tooth Whitener, Twitter Had A Field Day
From Our Network
- AAP in new packaging: Is Swaraj India cloning old party by targeting Varun Gandhi?- FirstPost
- Senior SP leaders to mediate between Akhilesh Yadav and Mulayam Singh to resolve contentious issues - Pradesh18
- Did MLA Satyadev Katare die due to Assembly's 'bad vastu', asks Kailash Vijayvargiya - Pradesh18