Saina Nehwal reaches Indonesia Open quarter-finals
Saina had to dig deep against the Japanese Eriko Hirose before earning a 16-21, 21-16, 21-9 win.
Singapore: Saina Nehwal came from a game down to beat Eriko Hirose and enter the women's singles quarter-finals at Singapore Open Super Series badminton event here on Thursday.
Saina, who slipped to number four in world rankings released on Thursday, had to dig deep against the Japanese before earning a 16-21, 21-16, 21-9 win. The contest lasted a little over one hour.
With Thursday's success, Saina levelled her head-to-head record with the World No.11 to 3-3. She plays Indonesia's Lindaweni Fanetri in the last eight stage on Friday.
B Sai Praneeth, however, lost to 12th-ranked Chong Wei Feng 11-21, 21-17, 16-21 in the pre-quarterfinals. The World No. 45 had upset second seed Yun Hu of Hong Kong on Wednesday.
The mixed doubles pair of Arun Vishnu and Aparna Balan went down against Praveen Jordan and Vita Marissa of Indonesia 10-21, 18-21.
Akshay Dewalkar and Pranav Jerry Chopra were shown the door by Chinese Taipei's Yoo Seon Yong and Shin Baek Choel 14-21, 19-21.
Recommended For You
- IPL 2017: Ben Stokes Excited to Be Part of MS Dhoni's Team
- 2017 Audi A3 Facelift First Drive Review: The Future is Cylinder on Demand
- Ironman Turns 'Ultraman': Milind Soman Races 517 kms Barefoot
- Moto 3rd Anniversary Sale on Flipkart: Huge Discounts on Moto Z, Moto M and More
- SRK's Circus Returns To TV, Twitterati Can't Contain Their Excitement