Saina Nehwal reaches Indonesia Open quarter-finals
Saina had to dig deep against the Japanese Eriko Hirose before earning a 16-21, 21-16, 21-9 win.
Singapore: Saina Nehwal came from a game down to beat Eriko Hirose and enter the women's singles quarter-finals at Singapore Open Super Series badminton event here on Thursday.
Saina, who slipped to number four in world rankings released on Thursday, had to dig deep against the Japanese before earning a 16-21, 21-16, 21-9 win. The contest lasted a little over one hour.
With Thursday's success, Saina levelled her head-to-head record with the World No.11 to 3-3. She plays Indonesia's Lindaweni Fanetri in the last eight stage on Friday.
B Sai Praneeth, however, lost to 12th-ranked Chong Wei Feng 11-21, 21-17, 16-21 in the pre-quarterfinals. The World No. 45 had upset second seed Yun Hu of Hong Kong on Wednesday.
The mixed doubles pair of Arun Vishnu and Aparna Balan went down against Praveen Jordan and Vita Marissa of Indonesia 10-21, 18-21.
Akshay Dewalkar and Pranav Jerry Chopra were shown the door by Chinese Taipei's Yoo Seon Yong and Shin Baek Choel 14-21, 19-21.
- PM Modi Understands Pain of Our People: Baloch leader
- ISL 2016 Kicks Off with a Star-Studded Opening Ceremony
- PM Modi Appreciates Those Revealing Undisclosed Income
- MS Dhoni: The Untold Story Box Office Collection Crosses Rs 21 Crore on Day 1
- Unknown Person Files Income Tax Return in Kareena Kapoor's Name
- Not Playing Pakistani Journalist in Noor: Sonakshi Sinha
- Kareena Kapoor Rejected Saif Ali Khan's Marriage Proposal the First Time
- Kareena Kapoor, Saif Ali Khan Make The Most Stylish Couple; Here's The Proof