Sampath to take over as the new CEC today
Sampath, who was appointed as the CEC last week, will preside over the next Lok Sabha elections in 2014.
New Delhi: Veeravalli Sundaram Sampath on Monday will take over as the 18th Chief Election Commissioner of India at the EC headquarters in the Capital.
A 1973 batch IAS officer, 62-year-old Sampath will take over from SY Quraishi whose term came to an end on Sunday.
Sampath, who was appointed as the CEC last week, will preside over the next Lok Sabha elections in 2014. A low-profile bureaucrat, who has had stints in various capacities in Andhra Pradesh and Delhi, Sampath was Power Secretary at the Centre before he was appointed Election Commissioner in April, 2009.
Born on January 16, 1950, Sampath will be at the helm of the Commission till January, 2015 when he would turn 65. Under the Constitution, an EC or the CEC can remain in office either for a six-year term or till 65 years, whichever is earlier.
Consequent to Sampath's appointment, government will soon be naming his replacement as Election Commissioner.
Recommended For You
- News18 Movie Awards 2017: Aamir Khan Is Unbeatable in Best Actor Category
- Why Hidden Figures Deserves an Oscar For Being Relevant in Present Times
- Nach Baliye 8: Judges to Contestants; Everything That You Need to Know About The Show
- Xiaomi Redmi Note 4 Black Colour Variant to Be Available from March 1
- MINI Cooper D (5-Door) Review: A Classic That Encapsulates Modern Technology