Samsung ATIV S - the first Windows Phone 8 phone
Samsung ATIV S has a 1.5GHz dual-core processor and a 4.8-inch HD Super AMOLED display.
New Delhi: Samsung Electronics launched the world's first smartphone using Microsoft's latest mobile software Windows Phone 8 at an event at IFA Berlin, only days after losing a crucial patent battle with Apple.
The surprise announcement came a week before Nokia, which has a close partnership with Microsoft, is due to unveil its new Lumia smartphones in New York.
Samsung ATIV S has a 1.5GHz dual-core processor and HSPA+42 connectivity. The smartphone features a 4.8-inch HD Super AMOLED display.
A US federal jury found last week that Samsung had copied critical features of the iPhone and awarded Apple $1.05 billion in damages.
The decision led to speculation that Samsung and other handset makers using Google's Android system would be drawn toward Microsoft's phone software, which Apple has not targeted with any patent complaints.
"This is just the first in a big lineup of new hardware that's coming with Windows Phone 8, but it's a seriously impressive opening salvo," wrote Microsoft executive Ben Rudolph on a company blog showing off the new phone.
Windows Phone 8 looks similar to, and is built on the same core code as Microsoft's upcoming Windows 8 operating system, but is not the same product. Windows 8, which will run on tablets and PCs, is scheduled to launch on October 26.
Samsung also showed off tablets using Windows 8 software and also unveiled the second generation of its popular Galaxy Note phone-cum-tablet, setting high hopes for its success.
- Rupee Good Run Continues, Gains 3 Paise Against Dollar
- 'Silly' Sam Allardyce Says Error of Judgment Led to Shock Exit
- Sam Allardyce Exit Leaves England a Laughing Stock Yet Again
- 'Deeply Disappointed' Sam Allardyce Resigns as England Manager
- Soldier Inadvertently Crossed LoC, Pakistan Has Been Informed: Army
- Watch: Talking point With Zakka Jacob
- Watch: Big5@10 With Bhupendra Chaubey
- Watch: India @9 With Zakka Jacob
From Our Network
- RSS slapping cases because I fight for the poor: Rahul Gandhi in Guwahati court over temple row- FirstPost
- After surgical strikes, Mulayam Singh demands Narendra Modi take back Pakistan occupied Kashmir - Pradesh18
- Defamation case: Amid high drama, Court stays arrest warrant against Uma Bharti - Pradesh18