Sania-Bethanie advance in Rogers Cup
The Indo-American pair registered an easy first-round victory over the pair of Julia Goerges and Kveta Peschke.
Montreal: Sania Mirza and her American partner Bethanie Mattek-Sands registered a straight-set victory over Julia Goerges of Germany and Czech Republic's Kveta Peschke 7-6(1), 6-3 to enter the second round of the Rogers Cup here.
Seventh seeded Indo-American pair took an hour and 28 minutes to get the better of their rivals. Sania and Bethanie converted two of the four breakpoints that they got, while saved as many as three of their opponents' to come out with flying colours.
They will now take on Slovakia duo of Daniela Hantuchova and Dominika Cibulkova.
Meanwhile, fifth seeds Leander Paes and his Austrian partner Jurgen Melzer received a walk-over win over the Canadian-Serbian combo of Milos Raonic and Viktor Troicki in the second round to set up a quarter-final clash against third seeded Polish duo of Mariusz Fyrstenberg and Marcin Matkowski at this outdoor hard court tournament in Canada.
Earlier, Paes and Melzer got a bye in the first round.
Indian pair of Mahesh Bhupathi and Rohan Bopanna also got a bye in their first round match and will next face Paul Hanley of Australia and Serbian Nenad Zimonjic in the second round.
Recommended For You
- Ready?Shah Rukh Khan, Salman Khan To Act Together In Movies Again?
- Remembering AmmaDid Jayalalithaa and Karunanidhi Ever Work Together?
- Golden TweetVirat Kohli's Tweet Supporting Anushka Sharma is The Golden Tweet of 2016
- In MemoriamJayalalithaa Filmography: 10 Musical Hits
- Starry nightVirat-Anushka to Saif-Kareena: The Star Studded Birthday Bash of Manish Malhotra