Sania-Bethanie progress to Rd 3 in Wimbledon
The Indo-American pair defeated the unseeded French pair in straight sets.
London: India's Sania Mirza and her American partner Bethanie Mattek-Sands on Friday notched up a straight-set victory to advance to the third round of the women's doubles competition at the Wimbledon here.
The 13th seeded Indo-US duo scored a comfortable 6-3, 6-2 win over unseeded French pair of Stephanie Foretz Gacon and Kristina Mladenovic in just 55 minutes at the All England Club here. Sania and Bethanie converted three of the five breakpoints, while their rivals failed to convert the only opportunity that came their way.
In the first set, Sania and Bethanie went on to win as many as 27 points as against only 17 won by their opponents, to seal the set.
The Indo-US combo continued their domination in the second set as well, where they converted two of the three breakpoints, while managed to save the lone breakpoint that Stephanie and Kristina got.
Sania and Bethanie will next face the winner of the match between Russian duo of Maria Kirilenko and Nadia Petrova and the Williams sisters - Serena and Venus - in the third round.
Recommended For You
- Claudio Ranieri Sacking Shows How Heartless Modern Day Football Is
- New KTM Duke 390, Duke 250, Duke 200 Launched; Prices Start at Rs 1.43 Lakh
- Kumble Defends Kohli & Co, Says It Was Just One Bad Day For India
- Oscars 2017: Of Androgynous Fashion Moments at Red Carpets
- MINI Cooper D (5-Door) Review: A Classic That Encapsulates Modern Technology