Sania-Bhupathi win mixed-doubles title in Paris
The Indian pair beat Klaudia Jans-Ignacik and Santiago Gonzalez 7-6 (7-3), 6-1.
Paris: Sania Mirza and Mahesh Bhupathi won the French Open mixed-doubles title, beating Klaudia Jans-Ignacik of Poland and her Mexican partner Santiago Gonzalez 7-6 (7-3), 6-1.
The seventh seeded Indian pair took one hour and 13 minutes to win their second Grand Slam title together and first French Open trophy. It is the second career Grand Slam title for Sania, while 12th Major trophy for Bhupathi, who now has got eight mixed-doubles trophies to his name. Before Thursday's victory, the Indian pair had won the 2009 Australian Open together.
Sania and Bhupathi although started gingerly, conceding an early break, they came back strongly as the set progressed, breaking their counterparts and taking the set to the tiebreaker, which they eventually won 7-3.
Both Bhupathi and Sania raised their game further in the second set, breaking the Polish-Mexican pair in the first game itself. They hold their serve throughout the second set and broke their opponents three out of four times.
With this win, Sania and Bhupathi have given India another medal-winning prospect at the forthcoming London Olympics. However, their place is still not confirmed at the July-August event as Sania still needs to get a wild card to make the women's singles draw which will ensure her eligibility to contest in the mixed-doubles.
- Debit Card Fraud: Jaitley Seeks Report, Says Aim is to Contain Damage
- 31st October Movie Review: Has Nothing New to Offer
- Nearly 500 Dead, Food Running Out in Aleppo: UN Chief
- Happy That Censor Board is Standing by Us to Release 31st October: Vir Das
- Jack Reacher: Never Go Back Review: Lacks Suspense, High-Adrenaline Thrills
- 'Jack Reacher: Never Go Back' Review: The Film is Dull and Predictable
- Apple Launch Event on October 27: What to Expect?
- 90% Apple Lightning-to-USB Cables Sold on Amazon, Groupon Are Fake
From Our Network
- AAP in new packaging: Is Swaraj India cloning old party by targeting Varun Gandhi?- FirstPost
- Senior SP leaders to mediate between Akhilesh Yadav and Mulayam Singh to resolve contentious issues - Pradesh18
- Did MLA Satyadev Katare die due to Assembly's 'bad vastu', asks Kailash Vijayvargiya - Pradesh18