DON'T SHARE NUISANCE.
Sania-Elena advance to SFs of Charleston event
Sania Mirza bowed out of the singles event but advanced to the semi-finals of the doubles segment.
Charleston: Qualifier Sania Mirza bowed out of the singles event of the WTA Family Circle Cup but advanced to the doubles semifinals along with Elena Vesnina.
Sania's brilliant singles run ended with a 6-2 2-6 2-6 quarter-final defeat against Chinese 11th seed Peng Shuai at the USD 721,000 hard court tournament.
In the one-hour 33 minutes contest, first service played a huge role in the outcome of the match as the Chinese raised the level of the game by a few notches after losing the first set.
Sania could not convert any of the two break chances and dropped her own serve twice to let Peng stretch the match to the decisive third set.
In the final set, Sania converted both her chances but could not manage a single hold, which hurt her in the end.
In the doubles quarter-finals, the unseeded pair of Sania and Elena came from behind to beat Alla Kudryavtseva of Russia and Anastasia Rodionova of Australia 3-6 6-2 10-8.
In the semi-finals, they will take on Ji Zheng and Shuai.
Recommended For You
- Would Have Approached the 2003 World Cup Differently if T20s Existed Then: Tendulkar
- Trescothick Takes Wonder Catch and Scores 50th Century For Somerset
- Moto C, Moto C Plus Unveiled: Price, Specifications and More
- Saif Ali Khan Opens Up About Ex-wife Amrita Singh In This Old Interview
- Read Exclusive Excerpts From Sita: Warrior of Mithila by Author Amish