Sania exits Pattaya singles, makes doubles semis
Sania Mirza lost 5-7, 3-6 to Chinese Taipei qualifier Su-Wei Hsieh in the quarter-final.
Pattaya: Sania Mirza's singles campaign at the Pattaya Open ended on Friday with a 5-7, 3-6 quarter-final defeat against Chinese Taipei qualifier Su-Wei Hsieh, but the Indian has kept herself in the title contention for the doubles by making the semi-finals.
The 111-ranked Indian lost to the talented Tapiei player after battling for one hour and 20 minutes.
However, in the doubles, Sania and her Australian partner Anastasia Rodionova continued their good show by reaching the last-four stage.
The top-seeded pair defeated the local pair of Varatchaya and Varunya Wongteanchai 6-4, 6-3 in the last-eight stage match.
They now face third seeds Akgul Amanmuradova of Uzbekistan and Kimiko Date-Krumm of Japan.
In other matches, Sorana Cirstea reached the semi-finals when top-seeded Vera Zvonareva of Russia retired in the third set because of a left hip injury.
The match was even at 2-6, 6-4, 2-2 when Zvonareva pulled out and sent Cirstea into the next round.
Cirstea, a 21-year-old Romanian who is seeded seventh, will next face either Maria Kirilenko of Russia or Tamarine Tanasugarn of Thailand.
Recommended For You
- OnePlus 5 to Launch in April: All You Need to Know of the Waterproof Phone
- WhatsApp Status Update: How to Use it And All You Need to Know
- News18 Movie Awards 2017: Alia Is Ahead of Sonam in Best Actress Category
- News18 Movie Awards 2017: Amit Trivedi Gives Competition to Pritam in Best Music Category
- MINI Cooper D (5-Door) Review: A Classic That Encapsulates Modern Technology