Sania Mirza to team up with Bob Bryan in Australian Open
In the women's doubles, American Bethanie Mattek would be Sania Mirza's partner.
Kollam: Indian tennis star Sania Mirza said she was looking forward to team up with American Bob Bryan in the mixed doubles event of the 2013 Australian open.
"Yes, I am going to play with Bryan in the Australian Open," Sania, who inaugurated the President's Trophy boat race here this evening, told reporters. In the women's doubles, American Bethanie Mattek would be her partner, she said. Sania, ranked 7 in doubles, said like every other player, her aim was to get to the number one position.
Sania said though she would like to play singles, her physical fitness did not allow her to do so. However, she was training hard and playing trials. India's most successful women's tennis player said when she started her game at the age of 16, the aim was to play till 24.
Sania said she had thought that she would have to quit the game after marriage with Shoaib Malik. "But I am still playing," she said. On her former mixed doubles partner Mahesh Bhupathi, Sania said they were still keeping a good friendship.
Sania said the aim of the proposed Tennis Academy to be set up by her at Hyderabad was to extend facilities for tennis play in rural areas also. The acadmey would be set up on a sub-continental basis, she said.
- Watch: Talking point With Zakka Jacob
- UP Polls: Akhilesh Yadav's 'Vikas Rath Yatra' to Begin from November 3
- Shivpal Invites Nitish Kumar, Sharad Yadav to SP's 25th Anniversary Celebrations, Hints Alliance
- Fadnavis 'Did not Discourage' Johar's 5 Crore 'Donation' to Army Fund
- Windfall for Ace Lawyers As Tata-Mistry Courtroom Battle Set to Prolong
- Donald Trump Will Be Next US President, Predicts Election Wizard
- Excerpts From the Mistry Email Alleges That Ratan Tata was a Behind the Scenes Presence
- Cyrus Mistry's Explosive Email to Tata Board Hints He Was Made a 'Lame Duck'