Sania-Vesnina in Charleston WTA event final
Sania Mirza and Elena Vesnina notched up a straight-sets win over Ji Zheng and Peng Shuai.
Charleston: Sania Mirza and her Russian partner Elena Vesnina notched up a straight-sets win over Ji Zheng and Peng Shuai to enter the final of the Family Circle Cup WTA event here.
The unseeded Indo-Russian pair won 6-2 7-5 to make the finals and be in contention for their second WTA title together after the triumph at Indian Wells last month.
Sania and Vesnina will now take on the fourth-seeded American duo of Bethannie Mattek-Sands and Meghann Shaughnessy.
Interestingly, the Indo-Russian combine dispatched the American pair 6-0, 7-5 in the finals of the Indian Wells event.
In yesterday's contest, that lasted a little over an hour, Sania and Vesnina dominated the opening set, converting four break points to quite literally run away with it.
The second set turned out to be a humdinger as Sania and Vesnina ended up conceding three breaks of serve, while converting the four opportunities they got.
But the Indo-Russian pair did well to hold its nerves and come out triumphant in the end.
Recommended For You
- Zlatan Ibrahimovic Powers Manchester United to League Cup Glory
- Priyanka Chopra, Deepika Padukone Turn The Heat Up At Pre-Oscar 2017 Party
- Oscars 2017: Lion Actor Sunny Pawar Makes His Big Academy Debut
- Oscars 2017: La La Land, Moonlight or Lion; Who's Bollywood Rooting for?
- Oscars 2017 Red Carpet: Priyanka, Nicole, Emma Are Here To Turn Around The Fashion Game