Sania was a great singles talent, says Sharapova
Sharapova has played against Sania twice including the fourth round at 2005 US Open.
New Delhi: Women's tennis icon Maria Sharapova on Sunday said Sania Mirza was a great singles talent but it was right for the Indian to focus on doubles due to the demanding nature of the game.
"It takes so much both mentally and physically to play in two formats. It becomes difficult to give equal attention to singles and doubles," said Sharapova on her first visit to India. The World No.2 recalled her on-court meetings with Sania, who has stopped playing singles owing to recurring knee problems.
"It has been long since we played but she was a great talent. I am really happy that she is doing well in doubles. It is hard to continue with both formats. Sometimes you got to choose one," said Sharapova, who played against Sania twice including the fourth round at 2005 US Open.
Sania is ranked 12th in doubles and 280th in singles.
- India Sabotaging Peace In The Region: Pakistan
- India identifies five terror camps across LoC
- US Asks Pakistan to Take Action Against UN-Designated Terrorist Outfits
- Watch: Build- Up To The Surgical Strike Across LoC
- 'Ironclad'. Yes, That's How Pentagon Sees US-Philippines Alliance
- Rupee Good Run Continues, Gains 3 Paise Against Dollar
- BlackBerry To Stop Making Handsets, Will Outsource Production
- 'Silly' Sam Allardyce Says Error of Judgment Led to Shock Exit
From Our Network
- RSS slapping cases because I fight for the poor: Rahul Gandhi in Guwahati court over temple row- FirstPost
- After surgical strikes, Mulayam Singh demands Narendra Modi take back Pakistan occupied Kashmir - Pradesh18
- Defamation case: Amid high drama, Court stays arrest warrant against Uma Bharti - Pradesh18