DON'T SHARE NUISANCE.
Sania was a great singles talent, says Sharapova
Sharapova has played against Sania twice including the fourth round at 2005 US Open.
New Delhi: Women's tennis icon Maria Sharapova on Sunday said Sania Mirza was a great singles talent but it was right for the Indian to focus on doubles due to the demanding nature of the game.
"It takes so much both mentally and physically to play in two formats. It becomes difficult to give equal attention to singles and doubles," said Sharapova on her first visit to India. The World No.2 recalled her on-court meetings with Sania, who has stopped playing singles owing to recurring knee problems.
"It has been long since we played but she was a great talent. I am really happy that she is doing well in doubles. It is hard to continue with both formats. Sometimes you got to choose one," said Sharapova, who played against Sania twice including the fourth round at 2005 US Open.
Sania is ranked 12th in doubles and 280th in singles.
Recommended For You
- ICC to Review Champions Trophy Security Following Manchester Attack
- Ssumier Pasricha, Mallika Dua: Meet the Most Viral People on Internet
- Read Exclusive Excerpts From Sita: Warrior of Mithila by Author Amish
- Manchester Arena Terror Attack: All You Wanted to Know About Ariana Grande
- Ford Names James Hackett As New CEO