Sanjay Dutt gets extension on leave of furlough
The 53-year-old actor was lodged in the jail in May after his conviction for illegal possession of arms in the Mumbai blasts case.
Mumbai: Actor Sanjay Dutt was on Monday granted a 14-day extension of his leave of furlough, jail authorities said.
Dutt, who left the Yerawada prison on October 1 after being sanctioned a 14-day leave of furlough, had sought further extension on medical ground.
The 53-year-old actor was lodged in the jail in May after his conviction for illegal possession of arms in the Mumbai blasts case and is to serve the remaining 42 months of his five-year sentence.
He is currently with his family in Mumbai.
A furlough is leave of absence from prison granted to a prisoner by the jail authorities and differs from a parole that is granted by the court.
He was shifted to Yerawada prison from Mumbai's Arthur Road Jail on May 22 in a hush-hush pre-dawn operation.
In its March 21 verdict, the Supreme Court had reduced Dutt's jail term from six years to five. The actor had earlier served a prison term of 18 months.
On May 10, the Supreme Court had dismissed Dutt's plea seeking review of its judgement on his conviction and the five-year jail sentence.
(with additional inputs from PTI)
- Sushmita Sen Slams Donald Trump For Body Shaming Ex-Miss Universe Alicia Machado
- India Jumps 16 Places in Global Competitiveness Index
- US Driver Fined $136 For Using Donald Trump's Cut-Out To Get Through Carpool Lane
- Race to White House is Real, Not Reality TV: Hillary Clinton
- Prune the Grass Please, Indian Team Management Tells Eden Officials
- Lukewarm Response to Second India-NZ Test at Eden Gardens
- Amit Mishra Toils Hard in Optional Practice Session
- Need to Create Pressure for Longer Spells, Says NZ Coach Mike Hesson