X

DON'T SHARE NUISANCE.
SHARE NEWS.

Be a responsible citizen. Come, pledge to always check and share verified and vetted news.
»
1-min read

IPS officer Sanjeev Bhatt gets back security

News18test sharma |

Updated: May 3, 2011, 4:58 PM IST
facebook Twitter google skype whatsapp
IPS officer Sanjeev Bhatt gets back security
The State govt earlier withdrew it after Bhatt filed an affidavit over the role of Modi in the post Godhra riots.

New Delhi: The Gujarat Director General of Police (DGP) on Tuesday increased security for Deputy Inspector General of Police Sanjeev Bhatt. The State government withdrew it after the IPS officer filed an affidavit over the role of Chief Minister Narendra Modi in the post Godhra riots.

After withdrawing his security, the Gujarat DGP has now assigned more security personnel to Bhatt. In addition to one armed constable, three constables have been posted outside his house. The State government had earlier withdrawn five SRP commandoes posted outside Bhatt's house after the IPS officer filed an affidavit in the Supreme Court in which he said Modi had after the Sabarmati Express burning instructed officials that Hindus be allowed to vent their anger.

Earlier Gujarat Police on Friday said security was being provided to Bhatt, who has filed an affidavit before the Supreme Court accusing Chief Minister Narendra Modi of complicity in the 2002 riots, and only excess personnel deployed without approval had been withdrawn.

While Bhatt maintains that the need for his security has been overlooked despite his repeated pleas, the state police chief said an armed security officer was posted at Bhatt's residence here round the clock.

A statement by Director General of Police Chittaranjan Singh said Bhatt, currently principal of the Police Training School at Junagadh, had been absent from his place of posting without authorisation. Bhatt had sought 54 days' leave at half-pay from Feb 14 but was directed not to leave his posting until a decision on the leave was taken, it said.

Bhatt, however, went on leave flouting the orders, the DGP said, adding Bhatt had also deployed police personnel from the school at his Ahmedabad residence without prior approval.

According to the DGP, Bhatt's letter for security dated February 14 was received in the home department March 4. Following a letter from the SIT dated March 21, a threat assessment was carried out.

Meanwhile, Bhatt's deposition before the Nanavati-Mehta Judicial Inquiry Commission, slated for May 16, will be held behind closed doors, according to sources.

NGO Jan Sangharsh Manch (JSM), which represents the riot victims and had sought summoning of Bhatt before the panel, has decided to protest this move

First Published: May 3, 2011, 4:58 PM IST
Read full article
Next Story
facebook Twitter google skype whatsapp