Satirist Ravi Kiran Arrested For Cartoon on Chandrababu Naidu
The Andhra Pradesh police have detained popular political satirist Ravi Kiran for his “derogatory” cartoon about Chief Minister Chandrababu Naidu and his son and IT Minister Nara Lokesh.
File photo of Andhra Pradesh Chief Minister Chandrababu Naidu.
Hyderabad: The Andhra Pradesh police have detained popular political satirist Ravi Kiran for his “derogatory” cartoon about Chief Minister Chandrababu Naidu and his son and IT Minister Nara Lokesh.
Police acted on the complaint filed by Assembly Secretary at Thullur police station.
Kiran, who is the administrator of the Facebook page Political Punch, was picked up from Hyderabad. The page carries political satires, mostly critical of Naidu, Lokesh and the TDP government.
Speaking to CNN NEWS 18, police said, "Yes we have registered complaint under sections of the IT Act. Further investigation is on."
The opposition has slammed the TDP government’s action. AIMIM chief Asaduddin Owaisi tweeted that accepting criticism is very important for democracy to be functional. YRSCP has demanded immediate release of Kiran.
Lokesh has recently asked his party leaders to initiate legal actions against those tarnishing the image of the party on social media.
While addressing an event Naidu had said, "There is a lot of misuse of social media these days. There should be some restriction and regulations."
Recommended For You
- Karan Johar's Blast From The Past Will Give You a Mystery to Solve This Weekend
- Monsoon Shootout Review: The Film is a Wishy-Washy Affair
- Honor 7X vs Xiaomi Mi A1: The Visual Appeal Wins This Budget Battle For Honor
- Kareena, Saif Head To Pataudi Palace With Taimur To Ring In His First Birthday
- TVS Apache RR 310 Vs KTM RC 390: Specs, Price, Features and Which One is a Better Sports Bike?