Schumacher fastest on second day of Jerez testing
Setting the quickest lap was meaningless on a day when rivals were trying out their new cars.
Jerez: Michael Schumacher set the fastest pace on the second day of Formula One pre-season testing on Wednesday at the Jerez Circuit track.
The German driver, entering the final year of his F1 comeback, used Mercedes' car from last year to clock an early morning lap of 1 minute, 18.561 seconds that proved unbeatable.
Schumacher says "it was a good and productive test, full of lots of useful information, and I am now looking forward to driving our 2012 car for the first time at the next test."
While Schumacher used last year's car to continue trying out the new Pirelli tyres, Mark Webber came in second at 0.623 seconds behind driving Red Bull's new 2012 vehicle.
Daniel Ricciardo of Toro Rosso was third, while Kimi Raikkonen was fifth after having the fastest lap on Day One.
World champion Sebastian Vettel takes over in the Red Bull on Thursday, a day that should see more locals at the Jerez circuit with Spain's Fernando Alonso in the Ferrari after Brazilian Felipe Massa did the first two days.
Lewis Hamilton will take over from Jenson Button in the McLaren, the only one of the new crop of cars not to have a stepped nose.
Mercedes have decided not to run their 2012 car until the second pre-season test in Barcelona later this month to give them as much development time as possible.
- Directors Trust Me Because I am a Curious Actor: Sushant Singh Rajput
- Dhoni Applauds Sushant Singh Rajput's Performance In MS Dhoni: The Untold Story
- MS Dhoni: The Untold Story Review: Journey of a Small-Town Boy With Big Dreams
- Kareena Kapoor Rejected Saif Ali Khan's Marriage Proposal the First Time
- Pakistan Postpones SAARC Summit After Five Member Countries Pull Out
- India's Claim of Surgical Strike False: Pakistan to UN Chief
- 1st ODI: Azam, Nawaz Star as Pakistan Thrash West Indies
- US Lawmakers Support India's Counter-Terror Operations in PoK