Be a responsible citizen. Come, pledge to always check and share verified and vetted news.
1-min read

Braveheart dead, Delhi Police step up security


Updated: December 29, 2012, 6:05 AM IST
facebook Twitter google skype whatsapp
Braveheart dead, Delhi Police step up security
All entry points to India Gate, where massive anti-gangrape protests took place, have been barricaded.

New Delhi: Delhi Police stepped up security across the national capital on Saturday as soon the news of the Delhi braveheart dying in a Singapore hospital came in. All entry points to India Gate, where massive protests took place in last few days following the brutal gangrape and assault of a 23-year-old paramedical student, have been barricaded. All roads leading to Vijay Chowk and Rajpath have also been closed.

Delhi Police tweeted: "Entire Central Vista including Rajpath, Vijay Chowk and all road leading to India Gate will be closed for general traffic, Kamal Attaturk Marg also closed. All traveller advised to avoid these roads." Prohibitory orders under Section 144 have also been imposed in the New Delhi district of the national capital.

Delhi Police Commissioner Neeraj Kumar urged the people to maintain pace and clam. A total of 40 companies including 28 companies of Central Reserve Police Force (CRPF) have been deployed in Delhi. While 20 companies have been deployed in the Central Vista area, three companies are outside 10 Janpath (Sonia Gandhi's residence), five at Jantar Mantar, two at 7 Race Course Road (Manmohan Singh's residence), two at Police Headquarters, five in South District and five as mobile reserve.

As a precautionary measure 10 Delhi metro stations too have been shut down. The metro stations which have been shut down include Patel Chowk, Central Secretariat, RCR, Udyog Bhavan, Jorbagh, Khan Market, Rajiv Chowk, Barakhambha, Mandi House and Pragati Maidan.

Police have been on high alert for the last few days after the anti-gangrape protests at India Gate turned violent. A Delhi Police constable, Subhash Tomar, who was a part of the security contingent at India Gate had collapsed during the crackdown on the protesters on December 23. Tomar had died on December 25 with multiple versions emerging about reasons for his demise.

While the post mortem report said that he was hit by a blunt object and suffered serious injuries which resulted in a heart attack, two eyewitnesses claimed that the Delhi Police constable had collapsed while chasing the protesters and was not assaulted by anyone.

Another eyewitness refuted the claims that Tomar was not beaten up, saying that he saw a few protesters assaulting the Delhi Police constable.

First Published: December 29, 2012, 6:05 AM IST
Read full article
Next Story
facebook Twitter google skype whatsapp