Serena to open 2012 season at Brisbane
As well as Williams, Maria Sharapova, Kim Clijsters and Ana Ivanovic will play in Brisbane.
Brisbane: Serena Williams could meet Samantha Stosur in a reprise of their US Open final after signing up to play the Brisbane International in January.
The January 1-8 Brisbane International, which for several years has served as a warm-up for the Australian Open later in the month, has been elevated to WTA Premier level.
As well as Williams and Stosur, former top-ranked Maria Sharapova, Kim Clijsters and Ana Ivanovic will play in Brisbane.
Williams, who counts five Australian Open titles among her 13 Grand Slam wins, will be opening her 2012 season at Brisbane.
"Well, I never played in Brisbane and I've never been to Brisbane (but I've) heard great things about it," Williams said in a statement.
"It's brand new (for me) so all that is going to be really exciting and it will help me with my seeding going into the Australian Open too, so that would be good," she added.
Clijsters, the reigning Australian Open champion, will be returning to the WTA Tour after being sidelined by a torn abdominal muscle that prevented her defending her US Open title this year.
- 'Daring Voice of India's Pride' at UNGA Wins Applause From AAP
- UNGA: Sushma Says Kashmir Integral Part of India; Asks Pakistan To Stop Dreaming
- Indian Minister Disowned UN Resolutions in Speech: Pakistan
- Sushma Swaraj To Pakistan: Stop Dreaming About Kashmir
- Samsung Execs Meet DGCA Officials Over Galaxy Note 2 IndiGo Fire Incident
- After Google and Salesforce, Disney Now Wants to Buy Twitter
- Google Station, YouTube Go, Google Play for 2G Launched
- Samsung Galaxy On8 with Android M, 3GB RAM Launched at Rs 15,900