Set up fast-track courts for crimes against women: CJI to HC
Chief Justice Altamas Kabir said the delay in disposing such cases might be one of the factors for rise in crimes against women.
New Delhi: The brutal gangrape and murder of Delhi braveheart has shaken the conscience of the nation, said Chief Justice of India Altamas Kabir on Monday while asking all High Courts to set up fast-track courts to deal exclusively with offences against women.
The delay in disposing such cases might be one of the factors for rise in crimes against women, said CJI Kabir in a letter to all the chief justices of High Courts, and added that the time has come to deal expeditiously with such cases.
The CJI said the High Court chief justices should get in touch with the state governments for appointment of judicial officers but in the meantime some court should be designated as fast-track courts to exclusively deal with offences against women.
"I feel that steps should be taken immediately to set up fast-track courts to deal exclusively with cases of offences against women.
"In this regard, you may identify the number of requisite posts required to be created at the level of sessions judges as well as magistrates and, thereafter, the matter may be taken up with the state governments/union territory concerned, with promptitude, to increase the number of posts, not only of judicial officers but also of support staffs and
"In the meanwhile, you may take a decision to set up fast-track courts to be manned by existing judicial officers so that they become functional without any delay. I am sure that, judging by the present day scenario, the state governments will not decline the genuine demand of judiciary," said the CJI in his one-page letter.
- Erapalli Prasanna Consider R Ashwin Best Spinner in World
- Ashwin, Jadeja Star as India Thump New Zealand in Historic 500th Test
- R Ashwin Becomes Fastest Indian to 200 Test Wickets
- 1st Test: Vijay, Pujara Put India in Command Against NZ on Day 3
- Soldier Inadvertently Crossed LoC, Pakistan Has Been Informed: Army
- Kohli Has Strong Basics, is a Complete Batsman: Laxman
- After Cross-LoC Strikes, Indian High Commissioner Summoned By Pakistan
- NZ Captain Hit By Bug Ahead of India Test
From Our Network
- RSS slapping cases because I fight for the poor: Rahul Gandhi in Guwahati court over temple row- FirstPost
- After surgical strikes, Mulayam Singh demands Narendra Modi take back Pakistan occupied Kashmir - Pradesh18
- Defamation case: Amid high drama, Court stays arrest warrant against Uma Bharti - Pradesh18