Shah Commission report devoid of facts: Goa miners
The ministry of environment and forest has suspended the environment clearances of all the 93 mining leases in Goa.
Panaji: The Justice MB Shah Commission report on illegal mining which led to cancellation of all the 93 mining leases in Goa is "factually incorrect" in several aspects, claimed an apex body of state mining exporters.
"We would like to cite that a number of observations made in the Shah Commission report are factually incorrect," Goa Mineral Ore Exporters Association (GMOEA) has said in its letter to the Ministry of Mines.
GMOEA Executive Director S Sridhar has said that the issues raised by the Association are generic in nature, ranging from figures, technical calculations and legal position with regard to industry as well as being specific in nature as was brought to the notice of the body by members.
GMOEA is an umbrella organisation representing majority of exporters in the state.
The Union ministry of environment and forest (MoEF) on September 12 suspended the environment clearances (EC) of all the 93 mining leases in Goa.
The state government suspended all the mining leases, after the report of the judicial panel had been submitted in Parliament.
"The commission did not hear the Association despite several requests made to it, time and again. We had requested for a personal hearing to interact and clarify possible factual and legal aspects relevant to the industry in the state of Goa but we were not awarded the opportunity of a personal hearing," the letter reads.
GMOEA has requested that no action should be taken against the industry or its members without giving them an opportunity to present their side either in writing or through a personal hearing.
- Tata Leadership Tussle Moves from Boardroom to Courtroom
- Tata Shake-up May Distract Group from Restructuring Efforts
- Cyrus Mistry Ouster May be Good for Tata Steel's UK Operations, Says Media
- Cyrus Mistry Ouster: Shapoorji Pallonji to Move Company Law Board Against Tatas
- PM Nawaz Sharif has Become Security Risk for Pakistan, Says Imran Khan
- Misbah-ul-Haq Disappointed at West Indian Downfall
- Saqlain Mushtaq Hired as Spin Consultant for England's India Tour
- 2nd Test: Yasir Shah Spins Pakistan to Series-clinching Win Vs West Indies