Mumbai gangrape: Court to hear arguments on framing of charges today
A separate chargesheet has also been filed in a juvenile court as one of the five accused is a juvenile.
Mumbai: A Mumbai fast-track court on Monday will hear arguments on the framing of charges against the five accused in the Shakti Mills gangrape case. A 22-year-old photojounalist was accompanied by a male colleague who was gagged and bound while she was raped. The Mumbai Police had submitted a 600-page chargesheet before the magistrate court.
A separate chargesheet has also been filed in a juvenile court as one of the five accused is a juvenile. Sources had told CNN-IBN that police are likely to add Section 120B, criminal conspiracy, to the charges.
Sources had said the police are counting on forensic evidence and DNA reports to boost the case as well as the statement of the survivor and her friend.
Joint Police Commissioner (Crime) Himanshu Roy had said they will be seeking maximum punishment for the accused. "We have collected very strong evidence against the accused. We will seek maximum punishment against the accused," Roy had said.
The police had claimed they have more than sufficient evidence against the five accused - Salim Ansari, Vijay Jadhav, Mohammed Kasim Hafiz Shaikh alias Kasim Bengali, Siraj Rehman Khan and a minor.
The photojournalist was allegedly gangraped by the five on August 22 evening when she had gone to the Shakti Mills compound with a male colleague on an assignment.
Police had recently received a forensic report confirming that DNA samples found on the victim matched with those of the suspects. Police had also recovered five mobile phones, possessed by the accused at the time of the crime.
- Not Easy for Off-Colour Martin Guptill to be Aggressive in Subcontinent: Anil Kumble
- Rupee Good Run Continues, Gains 3 Paise Against Dollar
- Cricket Association of Bengal Installs Bell at Eden Gardens Ahead of Second Test
- Prune the Grass Please, Indian Team Management Tells Eden Officials
- BlackBerry To Stop Making Handsets, Will Outsource Production
- Erapalli Prasanna Consider R Ashwin Best Spinner in World
- Ashwin, Jadeja Star as India Thump New Zealand in Historic 500th Test
- R Ashwin Becomes Fastest Indian to 200 Test Wickets