Shamshad Begum had sung 'Katiya Karoon' 50 years ago!
'Katiya karoon' is basically a love song where the girl talks about her feelings for her lover.
New Delhi: 'Katiya Karoon' from 'Rockstar' tugged at music lover's heartstrings so much that it became on of their favourite songs. But did you know that legendary singer Shamshad Begum, who died Tuesday, too had sung a song titled 'Katiya Karoon' in 1963!
Shamshad Begum was one of the first female playback singers of the Indian film industry, which has turned 100 this year. At 94, she was six years younger than Indian cinema - perhaps the oldest living member of filmdom.
It's time to revisit her song 'Katiya Karoon', which not only gives a peek into the era when she mesmerised many with her voice, but also shows her versatility.
A peppy dance number, the folk number was picturised on actress Nishi in the 1963 black and white Punjabi movie 'Pind-Di-Kuri', directed by Baldev R. Jhingan.
Dressed in a knee length skirt and kurti, Nishi danced carefree in the song, which had typical fun loving folk music, not to miss the Punjabi flavour in it.
Composed by Hansraj Behl, its beats were fast and Nishi's 'thumkas' make it an interesting watch even today.
The recent 'Katiya karoon' had a similar 'mukhra' but a different 'antara'. Sung by Harshdeep Kaur and Sapna Awasthi, it is basically a love song where the girl talks about her feelings for her lover.
In the 1940s and 1950s Shamshad Begum created a benchmark by singing hits like 'Kabhi aar kabhi paar', 'Saiyan dil mein aana re' and 'Mere piya gaye Rangoon'. Her voice had a slight nasal tinge.
- Gautam Gambhir Returns to Test Squad After Two Years
- Gautam Gambhir, Yuvraj Singh Clear Fitness Test in NCA
- Sam Allardyce Fights to Save England Job After Newspaper Sting
- MS Dhoni: The Untold Story Will Live Up to the Hype: Neeraj Pandey
- Xiaomi Mi5s, Mi 5s Plus Smartphones Powered by Qualcomm Snapdragon 821 SoCs Launched in China
- Top 5: 4G Smartphones Under Rs 10,000; Is Xiaomi Still The King?
- Big B Has a Different Level of Passion Towards His Work: Anees Bazmee
- Watch: MNS Asks Pakistani Artistes To Leave In 48 Hours or Face Consequences