Sharath, Amalraj and Poulomi enter main draw in TT
Achanta Sharath Kamal along with compatriots Anthony Amalraj and Poulomi Ghatak made the main draw of the World Olympic Qualification.
Doha: Top Indian paddler Achanta Sharath Kamal along with compatriots Anthony Amalraj and Poulomi Ghatak made the main draw of the World Olympic Qualification Championships, here on Friday. Kamal blanked Kazakhstan's Kirill Gerassimenkno 11-6, 11-5, 11-7, 11-7 to top group 7, keeping his slate clean so far.
Amalraj joined him in round of 32 despite losing 2-4 to Wu Chi Chi. Amalraj lost 5-11, 18-16, 11-6, 11-7, 4-11, 11-8 to finish behind the Chinese Taipei paddler in group 2. His second place finish was enough to lead him to the main draw.
Earlier, Poulomi Ghatak, who had caused an upset when she beat Russia's fifth seed Oxana Fadeeva, lost 12-10, 10-12, 8-11, 6-11, 15-13, 11-7, 11-7 to world No. 121 Elena Timina of the Netherlands in a hard-fought match. However, since she finished second in her group behind Fadeeva, she made it to the main draw.
Poulomi's defeat Timina meant that the Indian did not get a bye in the main draw. She will have to beat Chia-Hui Lin of Taipei in the round of 32 in a late match on Friday night.
"I made some crucial errors in my last group match and I have learnt from those mistakes. I am determined not to repeat them," she said.
- Directors Trust Me Because I am a Curious Actor: Sushant Singh Rajput
- Dhoni Applauds Sushant Singh Rajput's Performance In MS Dhoni: The Untold Story
- MS Dhoni: The Untold Story Review: Journey of a Small-Town Boy With Big Dreams
- Not Playing Pakistani Journalist in Noor: Sonakshi Sinha
- Ex-PM Deve Gowda Sits on Dharna Against 'Injustice' in Cauvery Water Issue
- Cauvery Row: Siddaramaiah Calls All-Party Meet to Decide on SC's Order to Release Water
- PM Modi Holds Meeting Over Cauvery Water Sharing Dispute
- Pakistani Artistes Are Not Terrorists, They Have Visas, Says Salman Khan