Shocked that Home Secretary praised police: Justice Verma
He said the least RK Singh would have done was to seek an apology for the failure of the duty to protect citizens.
New Delhi: Home Secretary RK Singh on Wednesday got a rap on his knuckles from former Chief Justice of India JS Verma for his praise of Delhi Police Commissioner Neeraj Kumar in the aftermath of the Delhi gangrape incident. Justice Verma said he was shocked to hear the praise when instead an apology was expected.
"The Commissioner of Police was given a pat on his back by no less than a person holding the post of Home Secretary. I was shocked to see that," Verma told a press conference here after submitting report on measures to improve laws dealing with sexual offences.
He said the least he would have done was to seek an apology for the failure of the duty to protect citizens instead of the praise. Singh had praised Delhi Police during a press interaction days after the December 16 incident when it arrested six men allegedly involved in the crime.
The 23-year-old girl was gangraped in a moving bus in south Delhi allegedly by six men. She succumbed to her massive internal injuries on December 29 in a Singapore hospital.
Recommended For You
- Man Purposely Damages Tesla Model S to Save a Life, Gets Compensation
- Running Shaadi Review: It's Weighed Down by Choppy Editing, Inconsistent Screenplay
- News18 Movie Awards 2017: Nominees For Best Singer (Female)
- News18 Movie Awards 2017: Nominees For Best Singer (Male)
- India A vs Australia: Shreyas Iyer Slams 202* As Match Ends in Draw