DON'T SHARE NUISANCE.
Singapore: Indian-origin man sentenced for sex with minor
In sentencing, district judge Siva Shanmugam said the girl was at a vulnerable age, and Aravind had abused the trust in him as a teacher.
Singapore: A 25-year-old Indian-origin teacher in Singapore has been sentenced to one year in jail for having sex with an underage girl student. Aravind S Menon had earlier pleaded guilty to three counts of consensual sexual intercourse with the 14-year-old girl between May and July 2009, reported the Channel News Asia.
Menon became close to the minor when he was her teacher and they started a relationship. But when the girl wanted to break up with Aravind, he threatened to post their sex videos online, which he recorded and kept in his laptop.
Aravind also threatened to commit suicide by jumping off the highest floor of a public housing apartment block.
In sentencing, district judge Siva Shanmugam said the girl was at a vulnerable age, and Aravind had abused the trust in him as a teacher. The Judge noted that Aravind warranted a heavy sentence as he had captured their sex acts on video.
But the Judge also took into consideration that this was Aravind's first brush with the law and that the accused was remorseful. The prosecution had proceeded on one of the three charges against Aravind.
Recommended For You
- Melania Trump Slaps Away Donald Trump's Hand Upon Arriving In Israel
- Read Exclusive Excerpts From Sita: Warrior of Mithila by Author Amish
- Manchester Arena Terror Attack: All You Wanted to Know About Ariana Grande
- Pro Kabaddi League Auction: Nitin Tomar Becomes Highest Paid Player
- Sangakkara Announces Retirement From First Class Cricket