Singapore new home to Asia's wealthy
Faster-growing Asia had for the first time more millionaires than North America last year.
Singapore: Singapore overtook Hong Kong as home to Asia's wealthy last year as declining stock markets hit the former British territory a lot harder than its Southeast Asian rival, according to Capgemini and RBC Wealth Management.
Hong Kong, whose stock market capitalisation slumped 16.7 per cent last year, saw a sharper drop in the ranks of people with more than $1 million to invest as a larger proportion of that wealth was locked in equity.
Southeast Asia also shows stronger signs of resilience to global turbulence than the rest of Asia as buoyant domestic spending offsets struggling exports.
The number of high-net-worth individuals in Hong Kong fell 17.4 per cent to 83,600 last year, compared with a decline of 7.8 per cent to 91,200 people in Singapore, RBC Wealth's head of emerging markets Barend Janssens told reporters in Singapore on Wednesday.
Hong Kong had leapfrogged Singapore in 2010 after falling behind in 2008.
Faster-growing Asia had for the first time more millionaires than North America last year, according to Capgemini and RBC Wealth's latest world wealth report released on Tuesday.
The report did not provide estimates on the number of wealthy people in Singapore and Hong Kong.
Singapore, home to more Indonesian millionaires than Jakarta, has in recent years also attracted many rich people from around the world, including Facebook co-founder Eduardo Saverin who earlier this year gave up his US citizenship.
- Prune the Grass Please, Indian Team Management Tells Eden Officials
- Lukewarm Response to Second India-NZ Test at Eden Gardens
- Amit Mishra Toils Hard in Optional Practice Session
- Need to Create Pressure for Longer Spells, Says NZ Coach Mike Hesson
- India Jumps 16 Places in Global Competitiveness Index
- Former Israeli Prime Minister, Nobel Prize Winner Shimon Peres Passes Away
- Colombia, Marxist Rebels Sign Accord Ending 52-Year War
- Erapalli Prasanna Consider R Ashwin Best Spinner in World